For 4 people you need
1-1 1/2 lb- beef steak
1 1/2 oz. fat
2 or 3 large carrots
3/4 pint water
1/2 bay leaf
little nutmeg or mixed herbs
For the dumplings
4 oz. flour (with plain flour use 3/4 teaspoon
2 oz. shredded suet
water to mix.
- Cut the meat into neat squares.
- Season, then brown in the fat.
- Add sliced onions and carrots, water and flavourings.
- Cover pan and cook slowly for 2 hours
- Make the dumplings by sieving the dry ingredients together, add the suet, mix to a soft dough with the water.
- Roll into balls with lightly floured hands.
- Check there is sufficient liquid in the stew, then drop in the dumplings and cook for 1 5-20 minutes