For 4-6 people you need
7 oz. flour
3 1/2 oz. fat
water to mix
For the filling
3 oz. mushrooms
2 oz. butter
1-1 1/2 lb. fillet or rump steak (cut in one piece
- Sieve flour and salt, rub in fat, then bind with water, roll out to a large oblong piece.
- Blend the finely chopped mushroom with the butter and seasoning, spread; over the centre of the pastry leaving the ends plain.
- Put steak on top, season lightly and wrap pastry round this, sealing the edges with water.
- Cook on the lightly greased baking tray for 20-25 minutes.
- Lower heat as given and allow extra 20 minutes for under done steak; 25-30 minutes for medium cooked steak: 35-40 minutes for well done.
Oven temperature: hot, 425-450°F. – Gas Mark 6-7
then moderate, 350-375°F. -Gas Mark 4
Oven position: centre