For 6 people you need
2 oz. fat
2 large sliced onions
1 1/2 lb. stewing steak
1/2-1 tablespoon paprika
1/4 pint water
1 green pepper
6 oz. self raising flour (with plain flour use 1 1/2
level teaspoons baking powder)
1 1/2 oz. margarine
- Heat fat and fry the sliced onions and diced meat until brown.
- Stir in paprika, blended with water, and the rest of ingredients – the pepper should be cut into neat dice and seeds and core discarded, and the tomatoes should be skinned and quartered.
- Either cover saucepan very tightly, for there is little liquid, or put into tightly covered casserole and cook for 2 1/4 hours.
- Sieve dry ingredients, rub in margarine, mix to a soft dough with milk,
cut into tiny rounds and put on top of hot beef mixture, glaze with a little milk.
- Raise heat of oven and cook until the cobbler mixture is golden brown.
Oven temperature: slow to very moderate, 300-325°F. -Gas Mark 2-3
then hot, 425-450°F.-Gas Mark.7
Oven position : centre then above centre