For 4-6 people you need
1 lb. minced raw steak
4 oz. prunes
4 oz. bacon
1 medium onion
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
2 teaspoons chopped thyme
12 oz. flour (with plain flour use 2 level teaspoons
good pinch salt
6 oz. shredded suet
water to mix
- Mix the steak, chopped raw prunes (use scissors for this), chopped bacon and finely chopped onion.
- Add herbs and season well.
- Sieve flour and salt, or flour, baking powder and salt; add suet and water to give a rolling consistency.
- Roll out pastry to a large oblong about 1/4-inch thick.
- Cover with filling, leaving the edges without any filling.
- Brush the edges with water, roll like a Swiss roll; seal ends and put on to the tray: make slits on top for steam to escape.
- Bake for 30 minutes in hot oven; remove from oven, brush with beaten egg, then return to lower heat for further 30 minutes.
- If wished, cover with foil or greased paper, steam for 1 3/4 -2 hours.
Oven temperature: hot, 425-450°F. – Gas Mark 6-7 then moderate, 375°F. -Gas Mark 4-5
Oven position: centre