For 8 portions you need
3 large eggs
3-4 oz. castor sugar
3 oz. flour (plain can be used with no baking powder
or 1/2 level teaspoon, or self-raising flour)
1 tablespoon hot water
little castor sugar
4-6 tablespoons warm jam
- Put the eggs and sugar into a large mixing bowl, and whisk until the mixture is thick and creamy (you see the trail of the whisk) … if done over hot water continue beating until the mixture cools again
- Sieve the flour at least once.
- Fold gently into the egg mixture with a metal spoon – lastly fold in the water.
- Pour into the tin, lined with greased greaseproof paper.
- Bake for time and temperature given
- Test cake before removing from oven – press with finger, if no impression remains the cake is cooked.
- Turn on to sugared paper, spread with jam, roll firmly, dredge with sugar.
Oven temperature: -400-450°F.-Gas Mark 6-7
Oven position : near top