For 14 portions you need
For the bread dough
1/2 oz. fresh yeast or 2 level teaspoons dried yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
approx. 1/2 pint tepid water
1 lb plain flour
1/2-1 level teaspoon salt
4 oz. lard
4 oz. sugar
4 oz. currants,
2 tablespoons sugar mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- Cream yeast with sugar, add the tepid water, a little flour-blend dried yeast with sugar, little liquid, stand until softened, cream, add rest of liquid etc.
- Put in warm place until covered with bubbles, add to sieved flour and salt.
- Knead thoroughly, cover with tea-towel or polythene, allow to ‘prove’, i.e. rise until double original size.
- Knead again until smooth, roll out on a floured board to a neat oblong.
- Put half lard in small pieces over two thirds of dough – as flaky pastry.
- Sprinkle with half sugar, fruit and spice, then fold in three,, bringing the uncovered piece of dough over first.
- Give half turn, repeat 5 and 6.
- Turn again, roll to neat oblong, fold, turn and re-roll.
- Fold once more then roll out to fit warmed tin, score the top.
- Cover, allow to ‘prove’ until well risen, bake in centre of oven until golden brown, then remove from tin -test – knock base, cake should sound hollow. Glaze at once.
Oven temperature : 400-425°F.-Gas Mark 6
Reduce after 20 mins. If necessary