For 10-12 slices you need
4 oz. margarine
4 oz. castor sugar
8 oz. flour (with plain flour 2 level teaspoons
approx. 8 oz. dried fruit
1-2 oz. chopped candied peel
milk to mix-approx. 6 tablespoons
Crumble topping mixture
4 oz plain or self raising flour
2 oz margarine or butter
3 oz sugar preferably brown
- Cream the butter and sugar until soft and light
- Whisk eggs beat gradually into the butter mixture If the mixture shows signs of curdling add a little sieved flour
- Fold in flour with a metal spoon taking care not to over handle
- After adding the flour.stir in fruit, peel and enough milk to make a slow dropping consistency.
- Put into greased and floured tin.
- Add the crumble topping mixture by rubbing the margarine or butter into the flour sieved with spice, add the sugar
- Cook for about 1 hour-1 1/4 hours.
- Test before removing from the oven, the cake should have shrunk away from the sides of the tin, feel firm to the touch, and if a warm fine skewer is inserted it should come away clean.
Oven temperature: 350-375°F. -Gas Mark 4
Oven position: centre