For 8-10 portions you need
4 oz. butter or margarine
4 oz. castor sugar
few drops vanilla essence
6 oz. plain flour
1 level teaspoon baking powder
3-4 oz. glace cherries
1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- Cream the butter and sugar until soft and light.
- Whisk eggs, beat gradually into the butter mixture, if the mixture shows signs of curdling add a little sieved flour.
- Add vanilla essence, fold in sieved flour and baking powder gently with metal spoon.
- Add the cherries-these should be halved or quartered and coated in flour. If very sticky they should be rinsed in cold water then dried to prevent their sinking; then milk.
- Put into the greased and floured or lined tin, level on top.
- Bake for time and temperature given.
- Test cake before removing from tin -ensure the cake has shrunk away from the sides of the tin and feels firm to the touch.
Oven temperature: very moderate, 325-350°F.- Gas Mark 3-4
Oven position: centre