For 4 people you need
For the suet crust
8 oz. flour (with plain flour use 1 teaspoon baking powder)
4 oz. shredded suet
water to mix
For the filling
1 lb. stewing steak
2-3 lamb’s kidneys OR 4 oz. ox kidney
1/2 oz. flour
water or stock.
- Make the suet crust: Mix all the dry ingredients together and add enough water to make a firm dough.
- Line the greased basin with most of the pastry, retaining enough for the cover.
- Cut the meat into small pieces.
- Skin, core and chop the kidney.
- Mix the meats well together and put into the lined basin, sprinkling each layer with flour and seasoning
- Add enough water or stock to nearly fill the basin.
- Put on the pastry lid, damp the edges and seal well together
- Cover with greased greaseproof paper and cloth, or a cloth dipped in boiling water and floured. Leave room for the pastry to swell.
- Steam for a minimum of 4 hours.