For 6 people you need
1 1/2 lb. stewing steak
1 oz. flour,
1 oz. dripping
1 pint water
3 teaspoons tomato puree
pinch mixed herbs
2 oz. white breadcrumbs
1 1/2 oz. butter
8 oz. flour (with plain
flour use 3 level teaspoons baking powder)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
3 tablespoons oil
1/4 pint milk.
- Cut meat into cubes and toss in well seasoned flour.
- Melt dripping in pan. gently fry sliced onions until golden.
- Add meat and fry a further 5 minutes, turning until meat is brown,
- Remove from heat and blend in water and tomato puree.
- Add carrots and herbs.
- Return to heat and bring to boil
- Turn mixture into casserole cover with lid. cook for 2 hours .
- Fry breadcrumbs slowly in butter until golden brown, put on plate.
- Sieve together flour, salt and pepper and garlic salt (optional), add oil and milk and mix to a soft dough.
- Drop tablespoons of this dough into -the buttered crumbs and roll into balls in the crumbs. Arrange on top of the stew.
- Return uncovered casserole to the moderately hot oven for 45 minutes until topping is golden brown
Oven temperature: very moderate. 325-350″F. Gas Mark 3
Oven position: centre