For 5-6 portions you need
5 oz. short crust or sweet short crust pastry,
2 oz. castor sugar
1 oz. cornflour
small can evaporated milk
1/4 pint water
juice of 1 lemon
grated rind 1 lemon
For the meringue
2-4 oz. castor sugar
- Roll out pastry, line flan ring or tin.
bake ‘blind’ until brown.
- Mix sugar, salt and cornflour, blend with milk, gradually stir in boiling water
- Bring to boil over gentle heat.simmer 5 minutes
- Separate yolks from whites of eggs
- Remove mixture from heat, add beaten egg yolks, cook further 2-3
minutes over gentle heat, stirring DO NOT BOIL.
- Add lemon juice and rind.
- Allow to cool, pour into prepared pastry case
- Whisk egg whites until stiff
- Gradually whisk in half sugar, then fold in rest of sugar
- Pile meringue on top of pie. bake in centre » of slow oven for time given.
Oven temperature: Pastry: 425°F.-Gas Mark 6-7
Meringue: 300°F.-Gas Mark 2.
or see TO SERVE Oven position: centre