For 6 portions you need
Flan or fleur pastry
3 oz. butter or margarine
1 oz. sugar
6 oz. plain flour
1 egg yolk
For the filling
Fresh gooseberries or fruit
OR use can of fruit pie filling
- Cream the butter and sugar until really soft and light
- Add the flour and work together with a palette knife.
- Stir in the egg yolk and sufficient water to make a rolling consistency.
- Roll out on a lightly floured board.
- Fit into the ring or tin. The easiest way to do this is to support the pastry over the rolling pin. Press pastry down firmly.
- To trim the edge. Cut away surplus pastry with a knife or roll the rolling pin over the top. which automatically cuts away the pastry without stretching or pulling this.
- Bake ‘blind’. This means putting crusts of bread or haricot beans on greased greaseproof paper over the pastry to prevent the bottom from rising. Remove after 15-20 minutes, at the same time lifting off the flan ring, if used, to encourage browning. Bake for time and temperature given until crisp and golden brown.
Oven temperature: hot. 425°F.,-GasMark7
Oven position: centre