1 oz. flour
seasoning OR 1 egg little water
3 tablespoons crisp bread crumbs (raspings)
3 oz. butter, fat or oil for shallow frying
at least 1 lb. fat or 1 pint oil for deep frying
- To coat in seasoned flour: put the flour and seasoning on to a plate, on greaseproof paper or in a bag.
- Either turn the chicken (very well dried) in this or drop into the bag and shake well until coated.
- To coat in egg and breadcrumbs: beat egg on a plate – a little water can be added to make it go further.
- Brush chicken with this, roll in breadcrumbs until evenly coated, shake off surplus before cooking.
- To shallow fry: heat fat in pan.
- Cook for 4 minutes, turn and cook for same time; lower heat, cook for further 10-12 minutes, turning once or twice.
- To deep fry: heat oil or fat until a cube of day-old bread turns golden brown in 1/2 – 1 minute. Put in chicken and cook for approximately 12-1 5 minutes; lower heat when it goes in.
- Whether shallow or deep fried, drain on crumpled tissue or kitchen paper.