For 4-6 people you need
3 1/2-4 lb. chicken
1 pint water
2 medium onions
2 medium carrots
2 sticks celery, optional
few sprigs parsley OR bouquet garni
1 teaspoon salt
1 oz. butter
1 oz. flour
1 teaspoon made mustard
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 pint chicken stock
2 tablespoons double cream
- Put the chicken into the saucepan with the other ingredients
(tie bouquet garni in muslin).
- Cover tightly, bring to the boil,
reduce heat at once and cook slowly for about 1 hour.
- Lift bird out carefully, strain off 1/2 pint stock for sauce.
- Joint and slice breast from the bird.
- To make sauce: Melt butter, stir in flour, mustard and curry powder.
- Cook for a few seconds, stirring well.
- Stir in chicken stock and bring to the boil, stir until thickened.
- Remove from heat and beat in the cream blended with the well-beaten egg.
- Season to taste.