For 6 portions you need
Flan or fleur pastry
3 oz. butter or margarine
1 oz. sugar
6 oz. plain flour
1 egg yolk
For the filling
1 1/2 lb. peeled and sliced apples
4 tablespoons apricot jam
- Cream the butter and sugar until really soft and light.
- Add the flour and work together with a palette knife.
- Stir in the egg yolk and sufficient water to make a rolling consistency.
- Roll out on a lightly floured board.
- Fit into the ring or tin. trim edges and bake ‘blind’for 10 minutes only
- Meanwhile, simmer some of the apples with sugar to give thick puree
spread over half cooked pastry.
- Cover with wafer thin slices of apple and a little sugar – return to oven until pastry is brown and apples tender.
- Cover with melted apricot jam.
Oven temperature: hot. 425°F..-GasMark7
Oven position: centre