For 4 people you need
short crust pastry
6 oz. margarine
12 oz. plain flour
3 1/2-4 tablespoons water
For the filling
4 medium-sized cooking apples
4 oz. blackberries
2 oz. castor sugar
*make pastry little softer than for a pie or tart so’ that it wraps round apples without breaking
- Rub margarine into flour sieved with pinch of salt until it resembles fine breadcrumbs, mix with water to form firm dough, divide into five
- Roll 4 of the portions into rounds large enough to completely cover the apples; roll out remaining portion-use to make ‘leaves’ and ‘stems’.
- Peel and core apples, place in the centre of round of pastry.
- Fill with blackberries and sugar.
- Damp edges of pastry, draw up to cover apples, press together to seal.
- Turn apples over, put on baking sheet
- Damp backs of ‘leaves’ and ‘stems’ with water, press on top of apples.
- Bake until golden brown.
Oven temperature: 375-400°F.-Gas Mark 5-6
Oven position: centre