For 6 portions you need
4 oz. margarine or butter
4 oz. castor sugar
2 large eggs
4 oz. self-raising flour (or plain flour and 1 level teaspoon
3 tablespoons jam
castor or sieved icing sugar
- Cream the butter and sugar until soft and light.
- Whisk eggs, beat gradually into the butter mixture, if the mixture shows signs of curdling add a little sieved flour.
- Fold in sieved flour with a metal spoon, taking care not to overhandle.
- Put into greased and floured or lined tins.
- Bake for time and temperature given.
- Test cakes before removing from oven – press gently with finger, if no impression remains cake is cooked.
- Cool on a wire cooling tray, sandwich with jam, top with sugar.
Oven temperature moderate 375°F – Gas Mark 4-5
Oven position: about 2 rungs from top of oven