For 4-6 people you need
1 – 1 1/2 lb. old potatoes
1 -2 oz. margarine or butter
For the coating
1 tablespoon flour
1 1/2-2 oz. crisp breadcrumbs
Shallow frying: 2-3 oz. fat or 3 tablespoons oil
Deep frying: 1 1/4 – 1 1/2 lb. fat or 1 1/4 – 1 1/2 pints oil
- Peel potatoes, put into boiling salted water,cook steadily until soft- but not broken and ‘watery’ then strain.
- Mash, add margarine, seasoning and a little milk
the mixture should be soft enough to form into finger shapes or rounds.
Finger shapes are more suitable for shallow frying.
- Coat in seasoned flour, then in beaten egg and crumbs.
- Heat fat in a frying pan or saucepan.
- Heat until cube of bread goes golden brown within 1 minute if using fat,
or 1/2 minute if using oil – if fat is too hot croquettes will break badly.
- Put croquettes into hot fat or oil –
if using a frying basket put this into the fat first,
then put the croquettes into the fat gently.
- Fry for a few minutes until crisp and golden brown, in shallow fat they will need turning.
- Lift out and drain on crumpled tissue or absorbent paper.