For 4-5 portions you need
Short crust pastry
6 oz. flour
3 oz. fat
1 1/2 tablespoons cold water
For the filling
1-1 1/2 lb. fruit,
sugar to taste
all margarine, or all lard or 1/2 margarine and 1/2 lard
- Prepare the fruit – with hard fruit add a little water with soft juicy fruit no water, and sugar to taste.
- Put fruit into pie dish – always use a pie dish that is sufficiently small so the fruit can be piled fairly high.
- Sieve flour and salt, rub in fat until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add water to make a firm dough.
- Roll out pastry to the shape of pie dish, but 1-1 1/2 inches bigger all round. Cut long narrow strip.
- Moisten edge of pie dish with water, and press pastry strip on to this.
- Lift remaining pastry over top of pie – support with rolling pin
- Press edges together; decorate. The edging on this particular pie was made by cutting horizontally then marking the pastry at regular intervals with a knife.
- Any surplus pastry can be used to form leaves etc.
- Bake for time and temperature given, reducing heat after 20 minutes.
Oven temperature: hot 425-450°F.. Gas Mark 6-7, then 375°F.. Gas Mark 4-5
Oven position: centre