For 4-6 portions you need
Short crust pastry
8 oz. flour, self-raising or plain
2 oz. margarine
2 oz. lard
approximately 2 tablespoons cold water
For the filling
4 tablespoons soft fine breadcrumbs
4 tablespoons warmed golden syrup
juice 1 lemon
- Sieve flour and salt, rub in fat until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add water to make a firm dough.
- Roll out on floured board, line plate, trim and decorate edges,
- Prick base with fork,
- Mix breadcrumbs, syrup and lemon juice. Spread over pastry.
- Re-roll pastry trimmings, cut narrow strips, twist over filling, damping ends so they stick in position.
- Bake for time and temperature given; lower heat after 20 minutes if necessary.
Oven temperature: moderately hot to hot. 400-425°F. —Gas Mark 6-7
Oven position: centre