For 6 people you need
small leg of lamb
2 oz. butter
clove garlic, optional
2 lb. potatoes
- Spread butter over lamb and season well.
- Stick rosemary leaves into the fat of the meat.
- Insert a clove of garlic near the bone.
- Place joint on a rack in a meat tin.
- Roast for 20 minutes to the lb. and 20 minutes over.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Place them under the meat after it has been cooking for 1/2 hour.
- Baste joint from time to time
- Garnish with sprigs of rosemary.
TO SERVE: With roast onions or leeks in a white sauce or tossed in butter.
Oven temperature: hot, 425-450°F.-Gas Mark 6-7
Oven position: above centre