For 4-6 people you need
4 oz. butter
4 oz. castor sugar
2 egg yolks
6 oz. fresh white breadcrumbs
grated rind 2 small lemons
1 oz. plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons milk
For the meringue
2 egg whites
3 oz. castor sugar
1 large eating apple
sprinkling extra sugar
- Cream butter and sugar until soft and light.
- Add egg yolks, breadcrumbs, lemon rind and juice, beat well.
- Add sieved flour and baking powder to the mixture with the milk.
- Turn into well greased dish, tin or basin, cover with foil or greased greaseproof paper.
- Steam for 11/2 hours over boiling water.
- Fifteen minutes before pudding has finished steaming, prepare the meringue.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Gradually beat in half sugar, fold in remainder.
- Peel, core and dice apple in tiny cubes.
- Fold into meringue mixture, spoon in circle round edge of ovenproof serving dish.
- Dust meringue with castor sugar and bake for 3-5 minutes.
Oven temperature: hot, 425-450°F„ Gas Mark 6-7
Oven position: towards the top