For approximately 8 people you need
1 large finely chopped onion
1/2 pint water
4 oz. fresh breadcrumbs
4 rashers chopped lean bacon
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1/2-1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2-1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1 shoulder of lamb
- Boil onion for 5 minutes in salted water.
- Strain, mix with rest of ingredients, binding with egg.
- Loosen the flesh on the under side of joint, insert knife and make a ‘pocket’ for the stuffing.
- Press some of the stuffing into this pocket, sew or skewer the ends together.
- Make remainder of stuffing into balls, which may be cooked around the joint.
- Unless the meat seems very lean, there is no need to add extra fat.
- Allow 30 mins. per lb. and 30 mins. over, weigh the meat when it is stuffed.
- Put balls of stuffing round meat 30 minutes before end of cooking time
Oven temperature: moderate, 375°F. -Gas Mark 4-5
Oven position: above centre