For 6-8 people you need
For the meringue flan
very little oil or butter
4 egg whites,
few drops vanilla essence,
teaspoon white vinegar
8 oz. castor sugar.
For the filling
4 tablespoons redcurrant jelly,
1 tablespoon water
8 oz. frozen* or fresh strawberries
1/2 pint thick cream
few drops vanilla essence
1 oz. sieved icing sugar
* Allow to thaw out but do not over-thaw.
- Cut 8-9 inch round greaseproof paper.
- Oil or butter the baking tray, put the round of paper on this and brush with oil or melted butter.
(Do not use too much otherwise the meringue becomes too brown at the bottom.)
- Whisk the egg whites until very stiff with the essence and vinegar then gradually whisk in half the sugar then fold in the remainder of the sugar — sieved with the cornflour.
- Spread about half meringue mixture in a neat round to cover greased paper.
- Spoon or pipe remainder of the meringue mixture into a neat border round edge of round to make a flan shape.
- Dry out for about 3 hours in a very cool oven, until crisp but not brown.
- Cool for a few minutes then lift off the tin with a warmed palette knife; peel away the paper.
- Cool on a wire tray: when cold store in airtight tin until ready to fill.
- Melt the jelly with the water, cool, then spread over the flan.
- Put some strawberries over the jelly.
- Whip the cream until stiff, fold in the essence and sugar: put in the flan and top with the remaining fruit.
Oven temperature: very cool -225-250°F. – Gas Mark 0-1
Oven position; centre