Published on : 20 April 20181 min reading time
For 4 people you need
juice of 3-4 lemons (about 8 tablespoons)
rind of 2 lemons
1 pint water
4 oz. sugar
1/2 oz. gelatine
few drops saffron yellow colouring
8 small ripe dessert pears
16 Maraschino cherries
crystallised lemon slices
- Put half the lemon juice, the lemon rind and most of the water into the saucepan and leave to stand for an hour if possible, then add the sugar and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Soften the gelatine in remaining cold water, add to hot lemon liquid, stir until dissolved: strain and colour an attractive yellow, allow to become quite cold and stiffen very slightly.
- Put remaining lemon juice into a dish.
- Peel, halve and core the pears then turn in the lemon juice to prevent discolouration.
- Insert a well-drained cherry in the centre of each pear half and press against the sides of the glasses.
- Spoon the jelly in the centre and allow to set