For 6-8 people you need
3 oz. butter
3 level tablespoons golden syrup
6 oz. bran or corn flakes
very little oil
1/2 oz. powdered gelatine
2 tablespoons water
2 oz. castor sugar
8 oz. cream cheese
4 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 pint thick cream
For the topping
1 tablespoon water
2 oz. sugar
1 lb. redcurrants
5 tablespoons redcurrant jelly
- Put the butter and syrup into the saucepan, heat until the butter melts, stir in the bran or corn flakes.
- Put the flan ring on to the plate and brush the inside of the ring with a little oil.
- Spoon the flake mixture into the flan and spread flat with a palette knife.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes in a moderate oven until crisp and allow to cool.
- Soften the gelatine in the cold water then stand over very hot water in the pan and heat until dissolved, cool.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites, whisk the yolks and sugar until thick and creamy, add to the gelatine mixture with the cream cheese and lemon juice.
- Fold in the lightly whipped cream and stiffly whisked egg whites.
- Spoon in the flan over the crisp base and leave until set: remove flan ring.
- Put the water and sugar into the pan, stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add redcurrants and redcurrant jelly, stir over low heat until jelly melts.
- Allow to cool then spoon over the top of the cheese cream, leave until firm.
Oven temperature: moderate – 325-350°F.-Gas Mark 3-4
Oven position: centre