For 4 people you need
1 lb. rhubarb
2 oz. sugar
1 oz. custard powder
1/2 pint milk
1-2 oz. sugar
few pieces of rhubarb
- As the rhubarb has to be a firm pulp it is best to cook this without any water.
- Put the fruit and sugar into a saucepan, over a very low heat and leave until soft
-or cook in the top of a double saucepan over boiling water, take out a few pieces.
- Mash or sieve until very smooth, then allow to cool.
- Blend the custard powder with some of the milk, bring rest of the milk to the boil,
pour over the custard, then return to saucepan with the sugar and cook until thickened,
stirring well, since the mixture is very stiff.
- Whisk the cool fruit puree and cool custard together until well blended and smooth,
add a few drops of colouring if necessary.
- Put into glasses and chill, then top with whipped cream and rhubarb.
TO SERVE: As cold as possible.