For 8 portions you need
4 oz. castor sugar
2 1/2 oz. self raising flour (or plain flour.with 1/2 teaspoon baking powder)
1/2 oz. cocoa
For the filling
1/2 pint thick cream
12 oz.-1 lb. strawberries
- Whisk the eggs and sugar until thick, fold in the sieved dry ingredients.
- Pour into the well greased and floured or lined sandwich tins.
- Bake for time and temperature given-the 8-inch cakes take a few minutes shorter time than the deeper 7-inch cakes.
- Test to see if cooked when firm to the touch.
- Turn out carefully and cool.
- Split each cake through centre.
- Whip the cream until it holds its shape, but is not too stiff.
- Spread between the cakes with sliced or halved fruit and sugar to taste.
- Top with the cream and whole strawberries.
Oven temperature moderately hot- 375-400 deg F-Gas Mark 5-6
Oven position: above centre