For 12 portions you need
8 oz. margarine
8 oz. sugar,
8 oz. self-raising flour
For the meringues
4 egg whites
8 oz. castor sugar
6 oz. margarine
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
12 oz. sieved icing sugar
few drops water
1 lb. fresh strawberries
- Cream the margarine and sugar until soft and light.
- Gradually beat in the eggs adding a little sieved flour if the mixture shows signs of curdling.
- Fold in the flour.
- Put into greased and floured tin.
- Bake until firm to the touch and golden brown.
- Allow to cool.
- Meringues: Whisk egg whites very stiffly. Gradually beat in half the sugar, then fold in the rest. Put in spoonfuls or pipe (see picture) on well oiled or buttered trays. Dry out in coolest place in oven until crisp.
- Vanilla icing: Cream margarine with the vanilla essence and icing sugar, add water.
- Split cake through the centre and fill with sliced strawberries and the vanilla icing.
- Spread top and sides of cake with vanilla icing making pattern on top with flat bladed knife.
- Put remainder icing into piping bag and pipe design round edge of cake with No. 5, 6 or 8 pipe.
- Press meringues around sides.
- Put strawberries on top.
Oven temperature: sponge -350-375°F-Gas Mark 4-5
Meringues – very cool -225-250°F-Gas Mark 0-1