For 6-8 portions you need
4 oz. butter
4 oz. icing sugar
2 oz. castor sugar
1 medium can apricot halves
grated rind 1 lemon
12 sponge fingers
1 oz. flaked browned almonds
- Cream the butter with the icing and castor sugar until soft and creamy.
- Drain the apricots.
- Stir into the butter mixture 1 tablespoon apricot syrup and grated lemon rind.
- Dip six sponge fingers in remaining apricot syrup and arrange on serving plate side by side.
- Spread lightly with butter cream mixture.
- Chop half apricots and arrange on top pressing lightly into butter cream.
- Dip remaining sponge fingers in syrup and arrange on top.
- Cover with butter cream, spreading it round sides as well and cover with rest of the whole half apricots.
- Spike with almonds and chill for 1/2 hour before serving.
TO SERVE: Cut down through sponge fingers.