For 6-8 portions you need
8 oz butter
8 oz soft brown sugar
6 oz black treacle
8 oz self-raising flour
2 oz cocoa
For top and sides and one layer of filling of 7-inch cake, and piping
10 oz. butter
1 lb. sieved icing sugar
To decorate gateau
2-3 oz. chopped nuts
glace cherries in red and green or angelica
- Cream together butter, sugar and treacle until soft and light.
- Gradually beat in the eggs, adding a little sieved flour if the mixture shows signs of curdling.
- Fold in sieved flour and cocoa.
- Put into lined tin and bake for time given.
- Allow the cake to cool, then split through the centre if one deep cake.
- Butter icing: Cream the butter and icing sugar until soft, add the flavouring. NEVER MELT THE BUTTER.
- Sandwich together with a little of the butter icing.
- Coat the sides of the cake with butter icing and coat in chopped nuts. Put these on a strip of grease proof paper and roll the cake along like a hoop.
- Cover the top with a thin layer of butter icing, then put the rest into the icing syringe or paper bag using a 5. 6 or 8 pipe, and draw lines across the cake, turn the cake and draw lines the other way.
- Decorate the edge with pieces of cherry or cherry and angelica
. Oven temperature 350-375F- Gas Mark 4
Oven position: centre