For 8-10 portions you need
4 oz. margarine
4 oz. castor sugar
6 oz. self-raising flour
3 oz. butter or margarine
6 oz. sieved icing sugar
chocolate vermicelli or grated chocolate
2 teaspoons cold water
5 small bars chocolate
- Cream margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in whisked eggs.
- Fold in sieved flour adding sufficient warm water to form a soft dropping consistency.
- Turn into two prepared sponge tins.
- Bake for time and temperature given.
- Make butter cream by creaming together icing sugar and butter. Add water to form a piping consistency.
- Use part of this to sandwich together the two sponges.
- Spread a thin layer around edge of sponge and roll into chocolate, vermicelli.* cover top with icing.
- Cut each chocolate bar very carefully into half to give diagonal pieces.
- Press on to butter icing.
- Decorate with rosettes of butter icing.
TO ROLL CAKES in either chopped nuts or vermicelli, put this on grease-proof paper, roll cake like a hoop.
Oven temperature moderate – 375°F Gas Mark 4-5
Oven position: just above centre.