For 3 people you need
For the shortcrust pastry
12 oz. flour
pinch sieve alt
6 oz. margarine
water to mix
3 medium cooking apples
3 teaspoons brown sugar
little lemon juice, optional
little milk or beaten egg.
- Sflour and salt, rub in fat until mixture is like fine breadcrumbs.
- Bind with a little water.
- Roll out pastry, cut into 3 squares.
- Peel and core the apples and fill the centre with sugar and lemon juice.
- Place the apples on the squares of pastry, brush edges with little water, gather them round the apples.
- Form any trimmings of pastry into leaves, brush backs of these with water, press on to the dumplings and place a clove in the centre of each.
- Brush with little milk or beaten egg.
- Bake on an ungreased baking tin in a hot oven for 1 5-20 minutes, then lower the heat to moderate for a further 35-40 minutes.
Oven temperature: hot, 425°F., Gas Mark 6,
then moderate, 350-375°F., Gas Mark 4-5
Oven position: centre.