For 6 people you need
medium can cherries
4 oz. sultanas
1 oz. powder gelatine
2-3 tablespoons hot water
juice of 1 lemon
rind of 1 lemon
3 oz. castor sugar
8 oz. cottage cheese
1/4 pint double cream
syrup from canned cherries
water, if necessary
1 level teaspoon arrowroot OR cornflour
- Drain and stone the cherries and reserve liquid.
- Mix half cherries and half sultanas and put into bottom of bowl.
- Dissolve gelatine in water.
- Separate egg yolks and whites, whisk yolks, lemon juice and rind and sugar until thick and creamy.
- Stir in the dissolved gelatine, then the sieved cottage cheese.
- Whisk cream lightly and egg whites stiffly, and fold into cheese mixture.
- Pour into dish. Leave to set.
- When set, top with remaining « cherries and sultanas.
- Measure cherry syrup and if necessary add water to give1/4 pint, blend with arrowroot.
- Bring to boil, stirring and cook until clear and thickened, spoon over cherries.