For 4 people you need
12 oz. flour
3 ozs margarine
3 ozs lard
approx. 3 tablespoons water
4 good sized cooking apples
2-3 oz. chopped dates
2-3 oz. seedless raisins
1 oz. brown sugar
glace icing made with –
6 oz. sieved icing sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons water
4 glace cherries
- Sieve flour and salt, rub in fat. and bind with water, roll out on lightly floured board.
- Cut into 4 large triangles or squares.
- Peel and core apples, put on pastry, and fill centres with dried fruit and sugar.
- Damp edges of pastry and seal them together; lift on to the baking tin.
- Cook until crisp and golden brown.
- Cool, then blend icing sugar and water together, beating well.
- Pour over top of fruit and top with a cherry, then allow to set.
Oven temperature moderately hot. 400-425°F. -Gas Mark 5-6
Oven position: centre