For 6 – 12 portions you need
3 bay leaves
4 rashers streaky bacon
1 lb. pig’s liver
8 oz. pork fat
1 oz. fine semolina
2 cloves garlic
pinch mixed herbs
1/2 level teaspoon ground mace
1/2 level teaspoon black pepper
1-2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons brandy
To serve with salad for 4 people
or as an hors d’oeuvre or sandwich filling for larger numbers
- Well grease the dish.
- Arrange the 3 bay leaves in the centre with the leaves pointing out to forma pattern.
- Cover with streaky bacon, neatly arranged, with rinds removed.
- Mince liver and pork fat finely.
- Add beaten egg, fine semolina, finely chopped garlic, herbs, mace, pepper, salt and brandy.
- Blend together well, turn into prepared dish.
- Stand dish in a larger baking tin of hot water.
- Cover with lid or aluminium foil.
- Bake in a slow oven until firm.
TO SERVE: Allow to cool, turn out and serve with hot toast and butter
Oven temperature: slow, 300-325°F-Gas Mark 2-3
Oven position: centre.