For 4 people you need
4 cooking apples
1 oz. butter
1 oz. raisins
1 oz. sultanas
1 oz. chopped glace cherries
little lemon juice
2oz. ground almonds
4oz.. granulated sugar
1 dessertspoon rice flour OR cornflour
1 egg white
few drops vanilla essence
little whipped cream
4 glace cherries
- Core the apples and slit the skins towards the top. to prevent the apples breaking.
- Put into the buttered dish.
- Mix raisins, sultanas and chopped glace cherries, press into the centre of each apple.
- Put a small piece of butter on top and sprinkle with the lemon juice.
- Bake for 25 minutes in the oven until half cooked, remove and top with the macaroon mixture.
- To make this: mix ground almonds and sugar and rice flour together.
- Whisk egg white until very stiff, add vanilla essence and.the ground almond mixture.
- Spoon over the top of each apple and return to the oven for a further 20 minutes until just golden coloured.
- Allow to cool.
Oven temperature: very moderate, 325-350°F. -Gas Mark 3.
Oven position: centre