For 5-6 people you need
For the pastry
6 oz. flour, preferably plain
3 oz. butter or margarine
1 oz. castor sugar
1 egg yolk
water to bind
For the filling
1 can mandarin oranges
1 1/2 packets custard powder
(to give a thick consistency)
1 pint 4 fluid oz. milk
1 -2 oz. sugar
1 packet Dream Topping mixture.
- Sieve the flour and salt, rub in the butter or margarine.
- Add the sugar, egg yolk and water.
- Roll out and line the flan ring, sandwich tin or flan dish.
- Put beans or crusts of bread on to greased paper in the flan and bake ‘blind’ for 1 5 minutes in the moderately hot oven.
- Remove the paper, etc., and continue cooking the flan until crisp and golden brown. Allow to cool.
- Drain the mandarin oranges (use the syrup in a jelly or fruit salad).
- Make the custard with 1 pint milk and the sugar as directed on the packet, allow to cool.
- Prepare the topping mixture with the rest of the milk, as directed on the packet.
- Fold this and half the mandarin oranges into the custard.
- Spoon into the pastry case and top with the remaining orange segments.
Oven temperature: moderately hot -400°F. – Gas Mark 5-6
Oven position: centre