For the sponge
2-3 ozs castor sugar
2 ozs self-raising flour
1 tbsp water.
For the filling
4 oz. plain chocolate
- Make the sponge
Put the eggs and sugar into a basin and whisk until thick and fluffy.
- Gradually fold in the well sieved flour and the water.
- Put into a well greased and floured tin, bake for 10-12 minutes at gas Mark 6.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then turn out very carefully onto a wire cooling tray.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and put this into the basin.
- Melt over a pan of hot. not boiling water, remove from heat, whisk in the egg yolks and continue beating until a thick creamy mixture.
- When cool, fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Put into the sponge flan case and decorate with a border of piped whipped cream, chocolate buttons and leaves of angelica.
TO SERVE: As cold as possible.