For 10-12 people you need
1 lb. blackcurrants
3 oz. sugar
1 1/2 lb. apples
3 tablespoons water
2 oz. sugar
juice 1/2 lemon
few drops green colouring
1 pint milk
1 1/2 oz. custard powder
2 oz. sugar
1/2 oz. powder gelatine
4 tablespoons water
1/2 pint whipped cream or evaporated milk
24 lady (Savoy) fingers
1/4-1/2 pint whipped cream or evaporated milk
few of the cooked black-currants
- Cook the blackcurrants with sugar but no water until just tender, remove a few, but cook rest until pulp.
- Cook peeled sliced apples with the water, sugar and lemon juice until a smooth pulp,
colour if wished.
- Blend a little cold milk with custard powder, bring the rest of milk to boil,
pour over custard and return to pan to thicken with the sugar.
- Dissolve the powder gelatine in the water,and add to the hot custard, cool, fold in cream.
- Stir half the custard into the apple puree and half into the blackcurrant.
- Allow the purees to cool and stiffen
- Dip the lady fingers into little milk and arrange round the side of the tin.
- Spoon half the apple mixture in this, then half the blackcurrant, then apple, then blackcurrant.
- Leave until set, turn out.
Decorate with blackcurrants and cream