For 4 people you need
3 egg whites
6 oz. castor sugar
very little oil or melted butter
For the filling
2-3 cooking apples
1 tablespoon water
2 oz. sugar
1/4 pint thick cream
few drops green colouring
1 dessert apple
1 tablespoon lemon juice
raspberries and/or strawberries
grapes and/or cherries
- Whisk the egg whites until very stiff, gradually whisk in half the sugar
then fold in the remainder.
- Oil or butter the baking tray very lightly then spoon or pipe the meringue mixture into 4 deep flan shapes.
- Dry out in a very cool oven until firm then remove from the baking tray with a warm palette knife.
- Cool on a wire tray then store in an airtight tin until ready to fill.
- Peel, core and slice the cooking apples, then cook with the water and sugar until a
- Blend with the whipped cream and colour a pleasant green.
- Spoon into the meringue flans and top with dessert apple slices dipped in lemon juice (to prevent discolouration) and a selection of fresh fruit.
Oven temperature: very cool -225-250°F. – Gas Mark 0-1/2
Oven position: centre