For 6-8 people you need
For the ice cream
1 16-oz. can apricot halves
1/2 pint thick cream
2 tablespoons milk
grated rind of 1 orange
1-2 oz. sieved icing sugar
For sauce and decoration
1/4 pint syrup from can of apricots
juice of 1 orange
1 level teaspoon arrowroot or cornflour
3-4 tablespoons sieved apricot jam
few blanched almonds
- Drain the apricots and chop very finely. Keep 1/4 pint of the syrup for the sauce.
- Put the cream and milk into a bowl and whisk until the mixture just hold its shape.
- Blend the cream with the apricots, the orange rind and sugar.
- Put into the freezing tray and freeze for 1 hour, then remove from the tray into a bowl and whip lightly (this particular ice cream is improved by whipping).
- Return the mixture to the freezing tray and freeze again until firm.
- To make the sauce blend the syrup and orange juice with the arrowroot or cornflour.
- Pour into the saucepan, add the jam and stir over a medium heat until thickened and clear, allow to cool