For 4-6 portions you need
Short crust pastry
8 oz. flour preferably plain
4 oz. fat
water to mix
For the filling
1 1/2 lb. cooking apples
4 oz castor sugar
sieved icing sugar OR castor sugar
- Sieve flour and salt into bowl
- Rub in fat until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix to stiff dough with cold water.
- Turn out on to floured board, knead lightly until smooth.
- Peel, core and slice apples. Mix with sugar.
- Divide pastry in two. roll each piece into circle slightly larger than the plate.
- Line plate with one piece of pastry.
- Put apples on to the pastry.
- Cover with second piece of pastry, trim and decorate edges.
- Bake approximately 15 minutes at higher temperature, then lower heat to make sure apples are cooked.
- Dust with sugar before serving.
Oven temperature: hot 425-450°F.-Gas Mark 6-7 then moderate 350-375°F.-Gas Mark 4-5
Oven position: centre