Serves: 1 1/2 quarts. Prep: 15 Cook: None This is the most asked-for recipe in this book.
» One 28 ounce can of plain crushed tomatoes
» One 16 ounce can vegetarian baked beans
» 1 small red onion, finely chopped
» 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
» Juice of 1 fresh lime
» 1/4 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce (a)
» 3 cloves garlic, minced
» One 4 ounce can diced green chilies (b)
» 1 tablespoon honey
» 2 tablespoons picante sauce (c)
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Drain tomatoes. Reserve the
- In storage container, combine all ingredients (except reserved liquid; see below). Place in ‘frig. (d) (e)
- Serve with nacho chips and The new Tostitos
brand Scoops nacho chips work best (hold a lot of salsa).
» A great party gift. Put in mason jar. Bring chips/beer.
» Makes a great relish on burgers.
» Mix with cheese and use to make scrambled eggs.
» Good on a baked potato.
- I like the Bull’s Eye brand Original
- The canned Ortega brand is good. These are chilies, not jalapeños. The jalapeños are considerably
- Not hot sauce, but similar and milder. Pico Pica brand is Tabasco works too; use 1/4 as much.
- Even better if refrigerated for a few
- If salsa is too chunky, food process part of it, and/or add back-in reserved tomato