For 6 people you need
2 plump ducks. 4-41/2 lb. (after trussing)
There is no need to add fat to a duck
Sauce and garnish:
giblets of duck
1 large can halved apricots
juice 1 lemon
2 tablespoons redcurrant jelly
2 tablespoons apricot brandy
Oven temperature: hot, 425-450°F-Gas Mark 6-7Allow 15 minutes cooking time per lb. and 15 minutes over.
- After the duck has been cooking for 30 minutes, prick the skin gently with a fine skewer to allow surplus fat to run out – do not push skewer in too far or fat runs into flesh.
- While the ducks are cooking, simmer the giblets with little seasoning to make the sauce.
- Blend 1/2 pint strained giblet stock and 1/2 pint apricot syrup with cornflour, lemon juice; cook steadily until thickened.
- Add red currant jelly and apricot brandy.
- Add the apricots to the roasting tin and heat for 10 minutes only.
Oven position: above centre