For 8-10 portions you need
4 oz. margarine or cooking fat
4 oz sugar
1 level tablespoon golden syrup
6 oz. self-raising flour (or plain flour and 1 1/2 level
teaspoons baking powder)
1 oz. cocoa
1 tablespoon milk
2 oz. butter or margarine
2 oz. sieved icing sugar
1/2 oz. cocoa
sieved icing sugar
- Cream margarine or cooking fat, sugar and syrup until soft.
- Whisk eggs, beat gradually into the fat mixture, if the mixture shows signs of curdling add a little sieved flour.
- Sieve the flour or flour and baking powder with cocoa and fold in gently, with a metal spoon, add the milk.
- Put into greased and floured or lined tins.
- Bake for time and temperature given.
- Test cakes before removing from oven – press gently with finger, if no impression remains cake is cooked.
- Cool on wire cooling tray then sandwich with chocolate butter icing made by creaming butter and sugar until soft, then add cocoa, top with sugar.
Oven temperature: 375°F. -Gas Mark 4-5
Oven position : about 2 rungs from top of oven