For 5-6 people you need
1 1/2-2 lb. white fish (cod haddock, etc.)
2 packets frozen broccoli spears
4 large tomatoes
For the sauce
1 oz. butter
1 oz. flour
1/2 pint milk
4 oz. Cheddar cheese,grated
For the topping
2-3 tablespoons cornflakes
- Cook the fish in a little seasoned water until just tender.
- Drain and cut into bite-sized pieces, put into the centre of the casserole.
- Meanwhile half cook the broccoli in seasoned water, drain and arrange round the edge of the casserole with the skinned and quartered tomatoes.
- Make a coating white sauce with the butter, flour and milk, season well and stir in the cheese, do not cook again.
- Pour over the fish and vegetable’s.
- Sprinkle with the lightly crushed cornflakes.
- Bake for 20 minutes in a moderate to moderately hot oven,
lift the lid and continue cooking for another 10 minutes
TO SERVE: Hot, garnished with watercress.
TO VARY: Use half fish stock (from stage 1) and half milk in the sauce.
Oven temperature: moderate to moderately hot -375-400°F. – Gas Mark 5-6
Oven position: above centre