Published on : 20 April 20181 min reading time
For 8 portions you need
3 large eggs
3-4 oz. castor sugar
2 1/2 oz. flour (plain can be used with no baking
powder or 1/2 level teaspoon, or self-raising flour)
1/2 oz. cocoa
1 tablespoon hot water
little castor sugar
1/4-1/2 pint whipped cream
Fresh or well drained canned or frozen fruit
- Put the eggs and sugar into a large mixing bowl and whisk until the mixture is thick and creamy
(you see the trail of the whisk) … if done over hot water
continue beating until the mixture cools again.
- Sieve the flour and cocoa at least once.
- Fold gently into the egg mixture with a metal spoon – lastly fold in water.
- Put into three greased or lined sandwich tins and bake for 10-15 minutes. If the tins
cannot be side by side on the shelf, the one in the cooler position will naturately
take a little longer.
- Test cake before removing from the oven-press with finger, if no impression remains the cake is cooked.
- Turn out carefully onto a wire cooling rack and when cold sandwich together with whipped
cream and fruit.
- Oven temperature 440-425 F Gas mark 6-7
Oven position near top