For 6 people you need
1 1/2 lb. tomatoes OR large can tomatoes
1 1/2 oz. fat
2 pints stock
seasoning bouquet garni.
4-6 oz. ribbon noodles
- Peel and slice onions and carrots
- Halve fresh tomatoes.
- Fry vegetables in the hot fat
for 5-10 minutes.
- Add stock, seasoning, bouquet garni.
- Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 3/4-1 hour
- Discard bouquet garni and put soup through
- Return to the pan, then add the noodles
and cook for 10-15 minutes.
until the noodles are tender.
- Re-season to taste.
Cream of Tomato soup
Proceed to stage 7.
In a separate pan make a white sauce of 1 oz.
butter or margarine,
1 oz. flour,
1/2 pint milk,
Heat the tomato puree in one pan,
then whisk the hot, but not boiling,
sauce into the hot tomato puree.
TO SERVE: As soon as possible,topped with croutons if desired,
a little fresh cream may be put on top.