For 4 people you need
1 lb. mashed potato
2 oz. plain flour
butter or fat for frying
2 oz. finely chopped onion
8 oz. raw minced beef
- Mix together the mashed potato, flour, salt and pepper.
- Roll out on a floured surface to a good 1/4-inch thickness and cut into rounds 2 1/2-inch to 3-inch diameter) with a pastry cutter.
- Fry in a little hot butter or fat until lightly browned on both sides, lift on a plate, keep hot.
- Add the onion to the minced beef and season well.
- Form into flat rounds the same size as the potato cakes, and fry in a little fat,
turning half way through cooking.
- Sandwich a burger between two potato cakes and serve piping hot.
TO SERVE: With pickles, or chutney or mustard.
TO VARY: Add chopped herbs to the potato.